Ten Pin Bowling
Independent Disabled Tenpin Bowlers of the ACT
The Independent Disabled Tenpin Bowlers of the ACT was formed in January 1998 with the main aim of providing a group for disabled people within Canberra, especially the Tuggeranong Valley area, that would assist them to participate in the sport of tenpin bowling. Since its formation, the association has been based at Zone Bowling Tuggeranong (formally AMF).
Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives were set down when the group was formed:
- To promote and develop Tenpin Bowling for Bowlers with a disability throughout the Tuggeranong Valley, Canberra and region.
- To provide opportunities for participation in Tenpin Bowling for persons with a disability and create awareness and encourage integration and participation for all disabilities.
- To provide organisation for fundraising activities to assist the disabled bowlers and their carers to reduce the cost of attending tournaments such as the National Disabled Tenpin Bowling Championships.
- To act as a coordinating committee for the ACT Tenpin Bowling Association on matters relating to Disabled Tenpin Bowling in the Tuggeranong Valley.
- To promote the sport of Disabled Tenpin Bowling through the running of tournaments designed for disabled athletes.
The IDTBACT runs a tenpin bowling league called the “All Sorts” league that is aimed at integrating disabled bowlers into competition with able-bodied bowlers. This league is run on each Saturday at 9:30am from late January to late November each year. The All Sorts league is open to all disabled persons, their carers, friends and anyone interested in the sport of tenpin bowling. It is based on a handicap of 100% of 200, so no matter what a bowler’s ability, they will be able to compete on an equal basis, whether disabled or not.
There is no specific membership fee for the IDTBPACT. Bowlers must be registered members of the National Sporting Organisation, Tenpin Bowling Australia, and all bowlers and their family members are encouraged to become members of the Vikings Group.
For more information contact:
President: Michael Cooke 0407 792 226
Secretary: Lilian Cooke 02 6292 2426
Zone Bowling Tuggeranong 02 6293 3888
Post: Care of / IDTBACT, PO Box 1738, Tuggeranong ACT 2901